Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Blog's for YOU Obama!

This is an amazing, monumental day for America.

Everyone will have a different image that will stay in their minds forever when they think of January 20, 2009. For me, it was the sweet, little 90-year-old African American man crying his eyes out watching Obama speak. For my brother, it is the security guard at an office building he delivered to, waving his arms in the air as Obama was sworn in. What will it be for you?

Sadly, something else is sticking in my mind. The snide, borderline malicious remarks of others. All day long I've seen Facebook status after Facebook status “The world is ending” and “I refuse to watch TV today.” UGH! Can’t you see?! This is so much more than politics!!! I am so sorry that some uncouth, disrespectful people booed at Bush. I would never do that. I’m sorry “your guy” didn’t win. Just get past it. Please. Get past it and look at what this day means. Don’t make it about Democrats and Republicans. Make it about PEOPLE. I know some people are going to be closed-minded and bitter regardless. Fine. Stay off my blog.

To the rest of you; this is what will define our generation!! This beautiful day when our voices were heard and, finally, race didn’t matter. I get choked up even typing those words. This is an amazing, monumental day for America.

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya. While I'm not overly emotional at the fact that we've just elected a not-white president, I recognize the magnitude and importance of it. I didn't vote for him, but I didn't vote for McCain either. I didn't ever renew my TX voter registration in time. Oops. But I looked at both sides and I knew that either candidate would do his/her job to the best of his/her abilities.

    My annoyance is much like yours...with those who refuse to give respect to what is passing and what is to come. Yes, I was deeply saddened and disappointed by the booing of Bush. But that doesn't mean that since I have respect for him that I dislike Obama or am upset, as some people took it.

    It's been an interesting day, for sure. And it will be an interesting four years. :) May God bless him and his beautiful family, and guide his steps so that he may guide ours as a country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% (as usual!!)

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Rachel. It was a very proud day for this country, and I'm so glad I got to watch it (in my company's conference room, no less, surrounded my co-workers!).

    ReplyDelete