Friday, June 25, 2010

Danny Gokey

THREE posts in one week - what is going on here?! ;)

So, last night my Mom, my Mom's good friend Laura, her daughter (and my friend) Claire & I went to The Glass Cactus in Grapevine to see Danny Gokey in concert. If you don't know who that is, he was on season 8 of American Idol and made it to the top 3. He was 28 when he tried out and had lost his wife to a heart condition only a few months before, but she had always wanted him to try out, so he did and last night talked about how it literally saved his life. Anyway, the show was a lot of fun...despite the fact that he traveled from Nashville and his flight was delayed. He was supposed to go on around 9-9:30 and instead, didn't start until about 10:40!! It was disappointing because I didn't get to stay for the whole thing, since I'm a working stiff, but it was worth it anyway. He also talked a lot about the charity work he has been doing, including the foundation he started in memory of his late wife. He has done a lot in his home town of Milwaukee and in his now home, Nashville. You can learn more about the awesome work he is doing here.

Vocally, he was pristine. He hit every note, right on the money, which is a huge deal to me. Coming from a music background, I often find myself disappointed by an artist's live show. Too many times they are 1/2 of what they seem on their albums. Not Danny Gokey, y'all. (First time I've ever gotten all "Texan" on a post, but seeing as he made a country album, it seemed fitting.) I actually thought he was almost better live. Raw talent. And his stage presence is outstanding. So, if you are a country music fan (mixed with a lot of soul), I highly recommend you pick up his album. Anyway, here are a few pictures from the night!

This is me with Claire, super excited that Danny was taking the stage! I love this girl. I've known her since she was seriously like 5 years old.

Danny Gokey, singing his little heart out! (And by "little heart" I mean giant, loving, unselfish and giving heart, of course.)

This is my favorite of the night. How cute is he?! (Note to self: get Ryan some shirts like this.)

This is one is kind of blurry because he moves and dances around a LOT, but still a good action shot.

Danny, thanks for a great night! See ya next time you're in Dallas...or I'm in Nashville! Whichever comes first! 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your great review of Danny's show last night! I was there as well. I stayed down front the entire night even tho I had to work today. I'm exhausted but it was worth it. ;)

    thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete