Last year, I didn't really make an resolutions. I had a mind set that resolutions are just setting us up for failure because we lose momentum as the year goes on. And come on, who likes to fail?! But this year, I have this strange energy and excitement that I can't really explain, but I feel like maybe I'll give this whole resolution thing another chance. First, let's take a a look at what a resolution is:
1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made.
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm decision to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
Ok, I can get down with that. I'm making an intention, a firm decision, a course of action, a firm purpose. So, with those thoughts in my head, I thought long and hard about what I wanted to resolve to do in 2011 and I came up with this:
1. Volunteer more - Anyone who knows me very well at all knows I love helping people. It satisfies my soul. And when I was still in college, I volunteered for several local charities/organizations but when I started working full time I used the excuses "I'm just too busy" or "There just aren't enough hours in the day". What a cop out. There are plenty of hours and if I make the time, I won't be too busy for it. I haven't decided on a cause yet, but I'll let you know when I do.
2. Reduce our debt/increase our savings - This is a two-part-er. First let me say, I think everyone wants this. We just didn't really make it a priority in 2010. I think we were so grateful to both be working, that we just went with the flow. But, if we learned nothing from our stint of unemployment in 2009, it's that you can never have too much saved. I am really going to focus on paying down debts first, and then building our savings.
3. Produce less waste - This is a personal choice for me. While we already recycle most of our cans, glass, plastic and card board, I feel like I could really work harder on producing less paper waste. More research will go into this one, but I'll share what I learn.
4. See more of friends I've lost touch with - This one is pretty self explanatory. I have some amazing friends who I just don't get to see as much as I'd like...and I am going to change that. Period.
Now, I realize it might be a little overly ambitious to take on so much change, but I feel like several of those things won't take much effort, once I get a system in place. Man...I really can't explain it but I feel like this is going to be a really good year. :)
Oh by the way, you'll notice, I did not list "weight loss" as a resolution...but more on that later! For now, I wish you all a happy and healthy NEW YEAR!