Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

Christmas is here!!! Christmas is here!!!

Well, in 4 days anyway. But in my heart? IT'S HERE!!!!

I found this cute little Christmas questionnaire on Mandey's blog and you know how much I love stuff like this. I couldn't resist. I LOVE Christmas nostalgia, so this was extra fun. Enjoy - AND MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)


1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Both. I love both.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Well, Santa didn't put our presents under the tree. He filled our stockings (and some of THOSE presents were wrapped) and then left our big presents unwrapped and by the fireplace.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? BOTH! We always had colored lights on the tree and house, and then eventually went to colored on the tree and white on the house. Ryan & I do colored on the tree and both outside.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, but my Mom and Grandmom always did. Maybe I should…

5. When do you put your decorations up? Ryan & I decorate after Thanksgiving usually. I think we did sometime between Thanksgiving and the first week of December growing up.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Well, really my favorite thing to eat around Christmas is all sweet stuff. Homemade cookies, candy and fudge. And of course, a Stein’s coffee cake that is shaped like a Christmas tree that we have gotten every Christmas of my life. It is NOT Christmas without that coffee cake.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? I have several. (Mom, get out the tissues.) I had 3 jump out in my mind right away. 1 – My Granddaddy reading The Night Before Christmas to us on Christmas Eve. Sometimes he would read The Cajun Night Before Christmas. There was just something so magical about hearing that story in my Granddaddy’s sweet Mississippi accent. 2 – Making Christmas cookies with my Mom (and Grandmom on the years they came here for Christmas). 3 – The church we went to until we moved to Flower Mound when I was 8 had this big craft making event in December every year. We would go as a family and each station had a unique Christmas related craft; a necklace for Mom, an ornament for Dad and one year I made this thing out of newspaper and panty hose that hung around a door knob for my cat to play with. Then, after all the crafts were made, we got to sit in Santa’s lap.

I also think about my Gram putting bows from the presents in her hair, and my Gramp and Dad putting together our toys for us. Man…I love Christmas nostalgia.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t really remember actually. If I’m being honest, I don’t think I’ve ever FULLY stopped believing. Which is why I cry during every single Christmas movie. I mean, I remember when Frankie stopped believing and my Mom talking to us about Christmas Spirit being alive in all of us. But, yeah, there is still a part of me that so badly wants Santa to be real, that I’m not sure I’ll ever lose that feeling. (Go ahead, you can make fun of me now, I don’t care.)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? When we were kids, we got to open one gift on Christmas Eve. Our babysitter from when my Mom worked, Peggy, sent us a book for Christmas every year, and I always chose to open her gift every year so I could read a new book before bed on Christmas Eve. She passed away a few years ago, but as long as I live, I will think about her and her books every Christmas Eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Growing up, it was a mixture of handmade ornaments and ornaments we got as gifts. Which is perfect, if you ask me. Theme trees are cool, but they aren’t for me.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? LOVE IT!!!!! But I live in Texas so, it’s rare. Someday I will live in a state where it snows on Christmas. Like, every year.

12. Can you ice skate?
I can, yes. But it’s been years and I bet it would take me a while to get the hang of it again.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
That’s an easy one. The year I got my American Girl doll, Molly, stands out as probably the best Christmas for me. I still treasure that doll.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? The time spent with family. And Christmas Spirit.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Fudge, Christmas cookies and my Mom’s homemade candy (Crème de Menthe balls, Bourbon balls and Buckeyes).

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Well, I already mentioned Stein’s coffee cake. That’s a big one. Also, we watch Home Alone on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day every year. And we have our “nice” dinner on Christmas Eve and then just do appetizer/finger foods on Christmas Day. And looking at Christmas lights! Ryan & I have started going to Deerfield in Plano every year. It makes you feel like a kid again. Oh! Oh! And I LOVE Christmas cards!

17. What tops your tree? Ryan & I have a gold star that lights up. Growing up, we had an angel holding a bunny that my Aunt Judie cross-stitched for my Mom.



18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? Giving, and watching the receivers open the gift by far. That’s a good part of the Christmas morning excitement for me.



19. Candy canes: yuck or yum? Yum. Especially the spearmint ones.



20. Favorite Christmas movie? I've never met a Christmas movie I didn’t like, but I’d have to say Home Alone. And tied for second place: A Christmas Story, Elf, This Christmas and It’s a Wonderful Life. Oh, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. And Prancer! Okay, this is getting out of control, I’m moving on.



21. Saddest Christmas song? That Christmas Shoes song. I change the station.



22. What is your favorite Christmas song? I truly could not pick one. It would end up like the movies question. I LOVE Christmas music. All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment