Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Musical Musings

Lately, I've had to battle myself in order to be in a good mood.  This is not a common thing for me. I mean, we all have bad days, but I am usually one who can shake it off fairly quickly. But not recently. I've been dealing with a couple of personal things, things I'm not quite ready to talk about publicly, and it's just getting me down. I'm finding it hard to keep said things from taking over my mind. Like, 24/7.

I don't mean for this to become so cryptic, it's just an important piece of the Musical Musings puzzle. See, music, as I've mentioned many times before, is a major part of my life. And it often gives insight into my moods. For example, if I'm listening to Bon Iver, I'm probably stuck inside my own head. Or if I'm listening to The Avett Brothers, I'm probably in a happy place. So lately, I've been trying to trick myself. I have been playing music that makes me feel really happy, hopeful and takes me somewhere else.

I'll get to the point.

Right now, I cannot get enough of the song "We Are Young" by Fun. (feat. Janelle Monáe). It just fills my soul with joy! It's the type of song that makes me want to just dance around with my friends. So, I've been listening to it a lot. For the 3-4 minutes that it plays, I can escape my thoughts and just let the music lift me up. So, Brittany, Lindsay, Kim - I'm looking at you girls. Dance party circa Phil's Deck?

Edit: Some people have said they can't get the video to play. If you are one of those people, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Love this song. :) Hoping whatever it is that's bringing you down gets the heck off your back so it's no effort to be happy. Love you, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU Chels. Your spirit brings light into my life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness i would love a dance deck party. i'll be messaging you soon. i love you and your spirit, and if it needs a little vacation, that is just fine. she'll come back when she's good and ready, and when she does, we will have a celebratory party of dancing!

    (ps, i only heard this song on glee! love this original!)

    ReplyDelete