Saturday, January 28, 2012

I Don't Know What to Call This...

Holy overdue blog post, Batman!

I've still found myself fighting this mental "funk", which is probably why it's been so long since I've blogged. It's not for lack of things to write about. In fact, I'm going to cram a lot into this one post because it has actually been a busy few weeks.

Last weekend was jam-packed with music related things. On Friday night, my Dad treated us to a wonderful evening in Dallas. My brother Frankie, Ryan and I met my Dad, step-mother and step-brother for dinner at a really cute Mexican restaurant, La Calle Doce, then headed to a great show at The Kessler. We saw Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - he was quite the entertainer! The opener, Slim Richey & the Stray Gypsies, was something special, too.  Two of the members are in another group called Milk Drive that plays in Denton from time to time, so I hope to catch them again. It was a really fun night!

The very next night, Frankie, Ryan & I loaded back into the car with Brittany and Mandy and headed back to Dallas, House of Blues this time, for a concert I have been [im]patiently waiting for since we bought our tickets months ago. I am struggling to find the right words to explain how amazing this night was. As I reflect back, this night is easily the best concert I have ever been to. I don't think I have ever seen an opener as equally matched to the headliners as The Staves were to The Civil Wars. The Staves are a trio of British sisters who were absolutely captivating - and as beautiful as they are talented. And they are really talented. After they finished their set, I could feel the nervous anticipation for The Civil Wars. A singer/duo/band hasn't taken over my iPod like they have in a very long time. I am always in the mood for them, I like every song on their album, and they are almost better live. A rare, rare gift for this music lover. Once they took the stage, the next hour and a half seemed to be over in the blink of an eye. Joy Williams' voice soared effortlessly over the sold-out crowd as she swayed to the music. Combined with John Paul White's powerful pipes and unmatched charm, they left the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. When the show was over, I felt floaty and moved, a feeling I've only had a few times in my concert-going years. (Like this one and this one. And one I never blogged about.) It was also quite a treat when an old friend of Frankie's and mine, Romeo, was in town for this very show. We met in the Texas Country music scene back in 2004, so it was really fun to get to spend the evening watching this amazing show together, too! It is a night I will not soon forget.
The Staves and The Civil Wars, House of Blue 1.21.12

 It's also been a busy few weeks for the Denton Women's Collective. A few of us got together last weekend, and again today, to discuss and plan an upcoming Town Council Meeting in Flower Mound where we are being recognized for our work with Finding Kind! It is such an honor, and we are so very grateful. Which brings me to my next bit of news. DWC has booked another pair of screenings for Finding Kind at Marcus High School in Flower Mound! So, ladies, if you couldn't make it to the screening at FMHS, you should join us in March!


If you stuck with me through all of this, congrats on having a wicked awesome attention span. I'll try not to go so long between posts next time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment