Monday, October 1, 2012

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

I used to blog recipes.

And then I didn't for a long time.

But now that I'm dedicated to Weight Watchers and finding new, exciting, tasty ways to feed my husband and myself and still be WW friendly, I'm trying a lot of new things.

Which means I'm going to blog recipes again.

Yesterday, I snapped a picture of the meal I'd prepped for my lunches this week and loaded it into Instagram. Several people asked for the recipe, so I decided this was a good one to start with!

I first found this recipe on Pinterest so I can't take credit...but in my usual fashion, I've tweaked it a bit to fit my taste.

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

1 c dry quinoa
2 c water
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can (or 1 c frozen) corn
tomato (I used 2 roma tomatoes), cubed
1 avocado, cubed
juice of 1 lime (you may want more or less, depending on your preference for lime)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
cilantro to taste
salt
pepper
garlic powder
cumin
adobo

Start by rinsing then cooking the quinoa. Set it aside to cool to room temp.

Mix together evoo and lime juice. Add in black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, and cilantro. Mix well. Then season to taste.

This is where I changed it up. I didn't add any balsamic vinegar like the recipe called for. I just wasn't sure how I felt about it being mixed with these ingredients. Instead, I went with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and adobo. I seasoned a little, then tasted, then adjusted until I had it the way I like it. Once you have a balance you like, stir it into the cooled quinoa. Then just pop it in the fridge! Easy peasy!

I actually prefer this closer to room temp but it was good right out of the fridge, too. And next time I may try it exactly like she made it, just to see what the balsamic vinegar does with the rest of the flavors.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment