Saturday, January 19, 2013

30 by 30

Today is my half birthday. This isn't something I generally celebrate, or even notice, except when its the half birthday preceding a BIG birthday.

Six months from today, I will be turning...THIRTY.

3-0.

Insert panicky face.

I haven't decided how to feel about it. People keep telling me that their 30's are/were the best years of their lives. And my ever growing "skunk stripe" makes me aware, daily, that I am growing older. But I don't FEEL like I am six short months away from kissing my 20's good-bye.

The day is coming nonetheless, so instead of avoiding it, I'm preparing for it. I've decided to construct a list (cause you all know I LOVE LISTS) of things I'd like to do before I cross over into the next decade of my life. I'm not promising I will be able to cross off every single item. But I'm sure going to try.

THIRTY things to do before turning THIRTY:

1. Start a bucket list. (Check!)
2. Start making concrete plans for future things that I can't talk about right now. (I know, I'm terrible.)
3. Chase a storm.
4. Visit JFK Memorial Plaza (Yes, I've lived in Texas my entire life and I've never done this...so clearly it needs to happen before I'm 30, right?!)
5. Learn more about wine. Besides "it tastes good".
6. Weigh less on my 30th birthday than I did on my 29th.
7. Learn a new skill.
8. Go to one concert a month. (Well on my way - I have January, February and June in the bag.)
9. Record music with Ryan.
10. Create a coffee table book with photos I've taken in Instagram.
11. Do one Pinterest craft a month.
12. Read three books.
13. Take a yoga class.
14. Step out of my fashion comfort zone.
15. Take a completely spontaneous day/weekend trip.
16. Learn how to grow something edible.
17. Donate to 3 organizations I love. (One for each decade of my life!)
18. Conquer something difficult in the kitchen - like souffle or crepes.
19. Put an unnatural color in my hair.
20. Say "YES" to everything for an entire day.
21. Learn how to fold a fitted sheet.
22. Ask my parents for each of their 5 favorite movies. Watch all 10.
23. Buy a record that came out the year I was born.
24. Give up sodas for an entire month. (Diet too!)
25. Spend more time exploring Denton. (I go to the same handful of places all the time.)
26. Try two new recipes a month.
27. Once a week (or so?), write a different friend to tell them how I truly feel about them.
28. Get a tattoo.    Maybe.
29. Participate in 5 truly random acts of kindness.
30. Make a list of everything (EVERYTHING) I want to accomplish in my life.

I'll post updates monthly on what I've knocked off my list. What's on YOUR list?

1 comment:

  1. I love your list! I recognize a few of those as goals that I've kept in my head for a while, too. Especially the fashion overhaul, as I have always dressed as though I'm a female version of Leonard Hofstadter on Big Bang Theory (hoodies, superhero tees, jeans, Converse chucks). What sort of tattoo are you contemplating? And seeing the list of your parents' top ten movies would be really interesting...

    :)

    ReplyDelete