Friday, March 1, 2013

30x30 Update

You may or may not remember back in January when I made a list of 30 things I want to do by my 30th birthday. (I'm calling it 30x30.) I won't lie to you...I was a little slow on the take off, but now I'm whittling away at it. Most recently, I checked #24 off the list!

24. Give up sodas for an entire month. (Diet too!)

I don't recall exactly how old I was the first time that sweet, carbonated nectar touched my lips, but for as long as I can remember, I have LOVED and consumed sodas on the regular. (What I DO remember is that it started with Welch's grape soda.) For most of my teens and early twenties, I drank at least one 20 oz Dr. Pepper every day. When I started to become more health-conscious I cut down to a couple a week, usually diet. But, I cannot remember a time in my life when I didn't consume ANY, so I decided to walk away from them for an entire month.

I was a little nervous as I savored my last sip on January 31st. I knew I would need something carbonated to help me kick the withdrawal. My super supportive husband came home with a case of this...
Having something flavored and carbonated to take the place of a traditional soda was very helpful, but I would be lying if I didn't admit there were several times when I MIGHT have considered caving. The worst were Fridays, my usual "cheat" day, because I was just so used to having a soda then. But, I powered through and made it through (the shortest month of the year), soda free.

So in "celebration", Ryan took me out to lunch and I could not wait to get my rear to the soda fountain. I grew more and more excited as my cup filled. Finally it was time for the first sip...it tasted SO good. I savored it as I ate my lunch.


But then...something terrible happened.

My body kind of freaked out. 

My blood sugar seriously spiked. I'm hypoglycemic, for those who don't know, and my system is very sensitive to too much sugar. About 20 minutes after I'd finished my oh-so-delicious Dr. Pepper, I felt buzzy and tingly. My body felt shaky and I just felt...uneasy. Its a hard sensation to explain if you've never experienced it. It actually made me feel sad when I realized that I had unintentionally taught myself a lesson. I love sodas...but sodas don't love me. And while I'm not saying I'm never going to drink another soda again, but I'm not saying I'm going to start drinking them again either.

Well played, 30x30, you sneaky snake.

2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! I love when our bodies know more than we do. Like when <----THIS vegetarian started craving burgers, pot roast, and steak. And lo and behold, I'm STILL anemic! Pumping iron pills like they're candy! I think it's awesome your body is working, but even more awesome that you're listening. That's what more of us could work on!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. That is quite a feat! GREAT JOB. I am addicted (no, seriously, it worries me a little sometimes) to Diet Cokes, despite hearing how bad aspartame is for the body. I go through 3-4 cans on a regular day and 6 on off-days when I'm just hanging out at home. It's NOT good at all. I wonder how my body would react if I gave them up for a month... maybe for the better? Anyway, GOOD on you, and congrats on checking off another item from your list!

    ReplyDelete