Monday, April 11, 2011

Breakfast

I. Love. Breakfast.

It's been my favorite meal for as long as I can remember. Pancakes are at the top of my list, followed by scrambled eggs with cheese, and bacon. And waffles. And biscuits. And bagels, oh bagels! I even love cereal, especially in bed - morning or late night. I love brunch and breakfast for dinner. I seriously love breakfast.

Breakfast is also an important meal for me. Being hypoglycemic, making sure I eat the right things in the morning is essential. Too sugary, and I fight glucose spikes all day. Not enough protein, I get shaky within an hour. I've worked for a long time on trying to find the right balance. In the past few months, I discovered that eggs are really great for starting my day/blood sugar off right. I looked for healthy recipes that I could make ahead of time and just heat up in the morning. I found one, and then (of course) I modified it to fit me! I give you...
 

Broccoli, Egg and Cheese “Muffins”



2 stalks worth of broccoli florets
4 whole eggs
5 egg whites
1/4 cup reduced fat medium or sharp cheddar
1/4 cup good grated Parmesan (the kind you shake from a jar won't melt well)
1 tbs olive oil
A shake or two of garlic powder
Kosher/sea salt and fresh pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°. Steam broccoli with a little water. (Or do what I do and cook the broccoli in a Zip-loc steamer bag.) When broccoli is cooked, mash into smaller pieces and add olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Mix well.

Spray cupcake pan with cooking spray and spoon broccoli mixture evenly into 9 slots. (I made it in all 12 and they didn't have enough egg in each "muffin".)

In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, eggs, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into the greased pan over broccoli until a little more than 3/4 full. Top with grated parm and bake until cooked, about 20-25 minutes. (I turned my pan halfway through.)




 Enjoy!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Those look very tasty. :-) And healthy too! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete