Friday, April 22, 2011

It's Just What You Do

Ryan started a new job at the end of March. He worked from 7am to 3pm. It was early, but he seemed to be handling the 5am wake-ups with ease. Well, at the end of last week, they announced that they were going to mandatory 12 hour days for a while. So, here's how our typical day would go:
Ryan wakes up at 5. Rachel rolls over and goes back to sleep until 6:30.
Ryan leaves for work at 6.
Rachel works from 8-5.
Ryan works from 7-7.
Ryan gets home around 7:30, showers, shovels dinner into his mouth.
Around 8pm, we finally get to sit down on the couch together and talk, watch TV, SEE each other for the first time all day.
Ryan goes to bed at 9pm.

Yeah. I was getting ONE HOUR of face time with my husband every day. That wasn't really enough for me. See, I enjoy his company...I did marry him, after all. So, I started getting up with him at 5am. I feel like we both start our days off better after getting a little time in the morning to talk, hug, have our coffee together. I was telling a friend that I'd started doing that and she asked me "Why would you do that?", seeming baffled that I would willingly get out of bed at 5am. I shrugged my shoulders and said "An hour a day just isn't enough for me. So, it's just what you do."

The plus side? I can get a lot of my chores checked off before the sun even comes up.

2 comments:

  1. you are such a good wifey! 5 is early! but, i know what ya mean when you say it's just what you do. you just have to make time to be together. it's so important! kody leaves at 6am every day. some days he gets home at 4:30, others it's 6:30. it seems like no matter what time he gets home, time flies by while we do dinner and bath & bedtime routines for the girls. i think 6 to 8/9 pm is the most exhausting time for us! i wish he could get home at like 3 everyday and we could really have some nice family time. that is why weekends are so treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If more people put this amount of effort into their marriages ... you see where I'm going with this! :)

    ReplyDelete