Thursday, April 21, 2011

Idol Wrap-Up

Not just a few weeks ago, there was a night on Idol where I thought pretty much everyone was amazing. This week was quite the opposite. I think it was one of the most underwhelming, boring nights of Idol this season.

Let me start by saying, the "cast offs" performance of "So What" was train wreck. For a second I thought, this has to be a joke. It wasn't.

Scotty - Wow. And I don't mean that in a good way. SO BORING AND PREDICTABLE. I get that every teenage girl in America is voting for him a bazillion times each but...I'm really over him. He refuses to branch out. The only positive? They poked serious fun at him for holding his mic like a flute.

James - Oh James. I just don't need all the shrieking. It's not the same as singing. I was okay with his performance (though no one can sing that like Matthew Bellamy) until he decided to take the octave during the chorus at the end. What was he thinking? Not good. On a related note, he always coughs a lot right after he sings which makes me think he is really wrecking his voice with those shrill screams. I'd really like just one week where he doesn't do that.

Haley - I texted my bff with the following words when Haley started to sing: "Dude. She is gonna get punched.in.the.face." *Disclaimer: I do not condone punching Idol contestants in the face...unless they ruin songs by Adele. Which is what she did. It was terribly pitchy and she just doesn't have the chops to take on a song like that. I think the thing that bothered me the most was that she didn't seem to "get" what the song was about. She performed it like a light hearted up-tempo jam. Maybe she's never gone through a break-up?

Jacob - The song he chose is another one that is extremely personal for me. I cried through the whole thing...but not necessarily because of how he sang it. Really, that song just makes me cry every time, no matter who is singing it. I thought Jacob was just okay this week...nothing special, but also not the worst of the night.

Casey - Several of his fellow contestants commented in the little pre-performance interview that he is "a genius". I agree. I think he does things with music that NONE of the others have the aptitude to do. Period. This week was no exception.

Stefano - So.Adorable. Oh, and he sings like a champ every week. I truly don't understand how he keeps landing in the bottom 3. He is so much better than a few of the others who are still around. I thought last night showed he has the full R&B package. Singing? Check. Dancing? Check. Stage presence? Check. Swooning fans? CHECK CHECK CHECK. Someone enlighten me...why isn't anyone picking up the phone for him?!

Lauren - I wish the glowing reviews could continue...but Lauren let me down a little last night. She is SO DARN TALENTED but last night's performance felt a little karaoke to me. It becoming clear she is really scared to take chances. Not that I blame her...she is only 16. But that's why she needs to stay on the show...because the longer she is around, the more she will pick up on.

For the first time since the season started, I'm really only worried about three (maybe four) people being safe. I voted, I did my part...we'll see what happens.


1 comment:

  1. You know what bothered me most about last night? Naima and her stupid energy. I wanted to take the microphone and beat her over the head with it. All her jumping and dancing drives me crazy. I was thrilled to see her go and now she came back to sing AGAIN? Uuuggghhhh.

    ReplyDelete