Friday, April 15, 2011

Turkey Taco Chili = WIN!

It's been a little while since I've posted a recipe, so I thought it was high time! This is another circumstance where I found a recipe that looked good, then sort of...tweaked it. The was originally meant to be more like a soup than a chili, but I thought it would be better (in our house at least) with more of a chili texture. And I think I was right. Ryan and Frankie agreed. ;) And it could not be easier, which is a huge plus.

Turkey Taco Chili


1 lb ground turkey
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can rotel tomatoes with green chilies, drained
1 can corn, with 1/2 the liquid
1 can dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
8 oz tomato sauce
1 can fat free refried beans
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can low sodium chicken broth (add 1/2 c at a time until you've reached the chili-ish consistency you like)
Adobo** seasoning to taste
Cayenne to taste

In a large pot, brown turkey on medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. When cooked through, drain and set aside. Add a pad of butter into the pot and add onions and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Add meat back in. Add tomatoes, corn, beans, tomato sauce, refried beans, taco seasoning, chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes.

**I've had a few people email/Facebook me asking what, exactly, this "Adobo" seasoning I often use, is. I attached a link in the recipe, to show you the exact brand I use. They make many different types, we just stick with the original, which has a red top. Ryan has been cooking with Adobo for as long as I've known him, and I'd never heard of it before. Now, I LOVE it. It's just a really well balanced, very flavorful Latin-type seasoning that really brings any dish to the next level. And no, they aren't paying me for this...though I'd totally let them. ;)

Anyway, this turned out really, really delicious. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. How do you get your name to show like that at the end of your blogs?

    ReplyDelete